Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Welcome to the Blank Children's Hospital Pediatric Emergency Medicine rotation! Orientation to the rotation and the hospital will be provided on the first day in Des Moines. New residents should report to Maria Gillespie, Pediatric Residency Program Coordinator, on the fifth floor of Blank Children's Hospital (Room 565) one-half hour prior to the first scheduled shift. She will provide each resident with his/her photo ID and information on how to charge meals during the rotation.
Housing and Parking:
During the rotation residents may stay at the InnTowner Apartments, 1300 Woodland Avenue, which is located across the street from the Iowa Methodist Medical Center (IMMC)/Blank Children's campus (immediately south). If check-in must occur after office hours, special arrangements should be made with Wendi Kruger in the Consortium Office at 515-241-4455. Note that the InnTowner does not allow pets. Housing is provided at no cost to the resident. Parking is located in a lot in front of the InnTowner.
More information on housing , parking and location of the Consortium Office can also be found here.
A food allowance will be provided by the Pediatric Education Department.
The monthly conference schedule will be available on the first weekday of the rotation in the Pediatric Education Office on Blank 5.
One month prior to the Pediatric Emergency Medicine rotation, residents should e-mail Dr. Scott Davison (email@example.com) with any special requests for time off and inform him of any vacation plans during the rotation. The work schedule will be available 1 month prior to the start of the rotation and a copy will be e-mailed to residents and the UIHC Pediatric Residency Program Coordinator. Residents should report to the Pediatric Residency Program Coordinator's Office (Maria Gillespie) on Blank 5 at least 30 minutes prior to the Emergency Department shift start time indicated on the schedule.
The emergency department work schedule will be developed by Dr. Davison. Residents will be assigned a schedule of work shifts. One 24-hour period in 7 days off duty will be provided, averaged over the month. There will be at least a 10-hour period of rest between shifts.
Important Rotation Information:
- Residents must present themselves to the attending physician on duty at the beginning of each shift.
- For each one block month rotation in the emergency department, residents will complete an emergency medicine rotation follow-up form on all patients who they admit, and five patients who are discharged to home.
- Residents will typically work five 10-hour shifts each week.
- Patients should be promptly seen.
- The resident will have time to read when there is overlapping coverage or when no patients are in the ED waiting to be seen.
- Residents should staff patients before ordering labs/x-rays, IV's, etc.
- Medical Record Completion: Thorough history and PE should be documented; Review of systems should be documented; and Lab and x-ray results should also be documented in the record.
- Residents must carefully sign out patients to an attending physician or another resident prior to leaving the ED.
- It is imperative that residents complete all medical records prior to leaving the emergency department for the day. Residents will be required to return to finish all incomplete records.
Health Sciences Library: Residents have 24-hour access 7 days per week to the IMMC Health Sciences library. A UnityPoint - Des Moines picture ID badge will be needed for after-hours entry. Internet and photocopying is available. The librarians can access information and perform literature searches for residents. Residents may call the Health Sciences librarians for assistance at 515-241-6490.
Fitness Center: The IMMC fitness center is located across the street from the InnTowner Apartments. Residents interested in using the fitness center should contact Wendi Kruger in the Consortium Office who will provide assistance with the registration process.
Consortium Contact Information:
Des Moines Area Medical Education Consortium, Inc.
1415 Woodland Ave, Suite 130
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Ken Cheyne, M.D.: 515-241-4455
Wendi Kruger: 515-241-4455
Pediatric Education Department
Blank Children's Hospital
1200 Pleasant Street, Blank 5
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Andrew Cyr, M.D. - 515-241-4497
Maria Gillespie - 515-241-4497