The Consortium seeks to:
- Coordinate with the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine undergraduate medical education clinical clerkships within Des Moines member institutions.
- Coordinate with the University of Iowa Graduate Medical Education program resident rotations within Des Moines member institutions.
- Coordinate the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education-approved residency programs within the Des Moines member institutions.
- Foster development of an educational community in Des Moines committed to excellence in medical student and resident education.
Five Member Institutions
The Des Moines Area Medical Education Consortium, Inc. unites five Des Moines hospitals in an exclusive academic affiliation with the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine and the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. Listed below are the five Des Moines hospitals and a link to each hospital's website where you can learn more about the institution and its commitment to quality medical education and research.
- Blank Children' Hospital
- Broadlawns Medical Center
- Iowa Lutheran Hospital
- Iowa Methodist Medical Center
- VA Central Iowa Health Care System (Affiliate Member)
Seven Member Residency Programs
The five member institutions of the Des Moines Area Medical Education Consortium, Inc. sponsor seven ACGME-accredited residency programs. The Consortium coordinates training these residents in the different member institutions and assists the institutions in training University of Iowa residents who rotate to Des Moines from UIHC for approved rotations. Listed below are the seven Des Moines residency programs and a link to each program's website where you can learn more about the residency program and its commitment to quality clinical training and research.
- Blank Children's Hospital Pediatrics Residency Program
- Broadlawns Medical Center Family Medicine Residency Program
- Broadlawns Medical Center Transitional Year Residency Program
- Iowa Lutheran Hospital Family Medicine
- Iowa Methodist Internal Medicine
- Iowa Methodist Surgery
- Iowa Methodist Transitional Year