Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Welcome to the Blank Children's Hospital Pediatric Emergency Medicine rotation. Orientation to the rotation and the hospital will be provided on the first day in Des Moines. New residents should report to Joe Heimer, Pediatric Residency Program Coordinator, on the fifth floor of Blank Children's Hospital (Room 565) one-half hour prior to the first scheduled shift. He will provide each resident with his/her photo ID and information on how to charge meals during the rotation.
During the rotation residents will stay at the InnTowner Apartments, 1300 Woodland Avenue in Des Moines. This complex is located immediately south of the Iowa Methodist/Blank Children's campus. Please click on the Consortium Housing link to find out more information, including office hours for check-in. If check-in must occur after office hours, special arrangements should be made with Wendi Kruger in the Consortium office at 515-241-4455. Please note that the InnTowner does not allow pets.
Parking is located in a lot in front of the InnTowner. Arrangements can be made for free covered parking in the hospital parking ramp if desired.
A food allowance will be provided by the Pediatric Education Department.
The monthly conference schedule will be available on the first weekday of the rotation in the Pediatric Education Office on Blank 5.
One month prior to your Pediatric ED rotation, please e-mail Dr. Sarah Holland(Sarah.Holland@unitypoint.org) with any special requests for time off and to let her know if you plan to take vacation during this month. The work schedule will be available 1 week prior to the start of the rotation and a copy will be e-mailed to you and the Pediatric Residency Program Coordinator at UIHC. Plan to report to the Pediatric Residency Program Coordinator's Office (Joe Heimer) on Blank 5 at least 30 minutes prior to the Emergency Department shift start time indicated on your schedule.
The emergency department work schedule will be developed by Dr. Holland. Residents will be assigned a schedule of work shifts. One 24-hour period in 7 days off duty will be provided, averaged over the month. There will be at least a 10-hour period of rest between ED shifts.
Important Rotation Information:
- Residents must present themselves to the attending physician on duty at the beginning of each shift.
- For each one block month rotation in the emergency department, residents will complete an emergency medicine rotation follow-up form on all patients who they admit, and five patients who are discharged to home.
- Residents will typically work five 10-hour shifts each week.
- Patients should be promptly seen.
- The resident will have time to read when there is overlapping coverage or when no patients are in the ED waiting to be seen.
- Residents should staff patients before ordering labs/x-rays, IV's, etc.
- Medical Record Completion: Thorough history and PE should be documented; Review of systems should be documented; and Lab and x-ray results should also be documented in the record.
- Carefully sign out patients to an attending physician or another resident prior to leaving the ED.
- It is imperative that residents complete all medical records prior to leaving the emergency room for the day. Residents will be required to return to finish all incomplete records.
- Iowa Health - Des Moines Health Sciences Library: You have 24-hour access 7 days per week to the Health Sciences library. You will need your hospital ID badge for after-hours entry. There is free internet and photocopying at all times. The librarians will also be glad to access information and do literature searches for you. You may call the Health Science librarians for assistance at 515-241-6490.
- There is a fitness center located near the Consortium Offices on Woodland Avenue. if you are interested in using the fitness center, there is required paperwork that needs to be completed. Wendi Kruger can provide the registration form that must be completed when you meet with her at the start of the rotation. Once registered, you will have 24-hour access 7 day per week using the picture ID badge.
Consortium Contact Information:
Des Moines Area Medical Education Consortium, Inc.
1415 Woodland Ave, Suite 130
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Steven Craig, M.D.: 515-241-4455
Wendi Kruger: 515-241-4455
Pediatric Education Department
Blank Children's Hospital
1200 Pleasant Street, Blank 5
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Ken Cheyne, M.D.: 515-241-4497
Joe Heimer: 515-241-5008